Mount Desert Island is an unforgettable place, and one that should be on people’s bucket lists to visit. Boasting incredible natural beauty, pristine Acadia National Park, picturesque and bustling Bar Harbor, Mount Desert is a true destination that offers something for everyone. Brian and Catherine are happy to share their wealth of knowledge on the area to best help you plan your visit. You can also explore the content below, and click through for additional information.
For families, there are endless ways to while away your day. You can find great dining options, activities, shopping, art galleries and more on the Island!
Here are some of our recommendations:
In town Bar Harbor…
McKay’s Public House – Lovely meals and amazing ambiance. They serve anything from soup, salads, burgers, rack of lamb!
Cafe This Way – Open room dining with lots of great art. Salads and amazing meals!
Galyn’s – Good food, quiet dining. Great prime rib and a very nice wine selection!
Thirsty Whale – Great burgers and lobster rolls….right down the street … two minute walk!
West Street Cafe – Casual dining, great food!
- Mainly Meat BBQ – Outstanding barbeque, all you can eat on Saturday’s.
- Beal’s Lobster Pound – Reach it by car or boat, really casual, great burgers and lobster! Located in Southwest Harbor…
- Lunt’s Gateway Lobster Pound – On Route 3 in Trenton… of course, great lobster.
- Thurston’s for Lobster – Located on island, with great dining and a new bar. Pick you lobster any size and they cook it up for you!
- Seafood Ketch – Visit Bass Harbor for delicious seafood and beautiful sunsets. Dinner for two offered with wine!
- Explore Acadia National Park, a national treasure.
- Biking, hiking, beach going, nature trails, photo opps and Cadillac Mountain await.
- Kayak, Paddle Board and Canoe Rental at National Park Canoe Rental, located in the village of Somesville, 10 minutes from downtown Bar Harbor. Visit Long Pond and explore this hidden island gem by water.
- Whale Watch – Catch a glimpse of Humpback, Finback or Minke whales as they glide through our coastal waters.
- Visit the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce’s page to learn more.
- “Top 10 Must Do’s” from Maine Travel Maven, Hilary Nangle.